We learned yesterday that Zach, has a rare eye condition in his left eye called retinoblastoma. This cancerous tumor on his eye has caused his retina to detach which is how we first became aware of the problem–the symptom is called “no red-reflex.”
The clear and unambiguous counsel of the opthamology specialists is that the best course of action for his condition is to remove the tumor. This necessitates the removal of his entire left eye (enucleation of the eye). He will grow up with a prosthetic eye and will hopefully be free of cancer.
Due to the apparently rapid growth of this tumor, we have agreed with the Doctors’ counsel to proceed to surgery this Monday, May 23. We will have some elders gather and pray over Zach this weekend prior to the surgery.
Here are some specific ways that you can pray for us at this time:
- Pray that we have clear wisdom about this course of action.
- Pray that God would heal him before and without surgery.
- Pray that as surgery is otherwise necessary, that it will be entirely successful.
- Pray that the cancer in his body will be only in the eye and not anywhere else. Further, that there would be no threat upon his life due to this tumor. We have obviously “caught it early.”
- Pray for our other children as they deal with this dramatic event. Pray that they would still feel well loved in the midst of busyness and necessary attention toward Zach!
- Pray for God’s peace for all of us. We’re doing pretty well, most moments!
- Pray for God to be glorified and for opportunities to make him known.
Thanks for standing with us in prayer.
Tim and Sarah
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
“Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?” (in our case, with eye cancer)
Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned or his parents, but that the works of God may be displayed in him.” John 9:2-3
Praise God for skilled physicians who can respond.
Praise God that it was in a part of the body we could see into!
Praise God that he is a gracious healer.
Praise God that all things are in his hands!
Praise God for his other good eye!
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!